Friday, December 7, 2007

Interesting happenings at Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall

Thought I would share a bit of Taipeis politics for anyone who is interested in the goings on.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2007/12/08/2003391618

Other than that news not much else is new and exciting. I have fell into the groove of study and really enjoy my three hour classes. This weekend I am taking it pretty easy, and will be going to a going away party for Michael Toy, the student from Wisconsin who was stabbed, he has decided to leave Taiwan so we are going to see him off. I guess I will also take the time to answer a few of the comments questions that I have gotten in the past few weeks.

Still haven't heard about any stinky tofu. That Andrew guy on cable says it is the national food of Taiwan. Have you had any?
I have not tried the stinky tofu yet. It is on my list of things to do, but I need to find a good market where I can buy the item.

"Do you feel that this kind of experience is opening you up to further acceptance or do you find that it emphasizes your own shortcomings or a little of both?"

I feel that I am pretty accepting of many things in this world. I am more and more coming to terms with the idea of cultural differences that make this world what it is. I of course have my own shortcomings but I feel that spending this trip on my own is helping over come at least some of them.

Why don't people drink? Are they just smarter than we are??
I think there is just a certain stigma with drinking here. Most young people just have either never tried drinking at all, or don't really enjoy doing so. That being said, it is not like all the younger generation does not like to drink. I just think that much more people choose not to drink.

"How many numbers are in your cell phone, is the text in Chinese characters? "
My phone number here is 091.754.1430. It is possible to text in Chinese characters, in fact I get some all the time in Chinese but you have to learn a different writing system to be able to use it. 

and of course, I can't write a blog without at least one picture.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jake,

It's weird to think that two major pieces of history have changed. The Berlin wall was removed and now the hall gets renamed. You are lucky to be witnessing this, so keep a good journal documenting people's thoughts and feelings on the subject and pay attention to how this event impacts other aspects of their society and surroundings. You never know, you may find a book out of them later.

Here's a happy thought. Let's see if you can remember (or know) what movie this next song phrase is from:

"A dragon, a dragon. I swear I saw a dragon..."

As always, take care and stay safe. I love the little bits of your life you share with us.