Monday, December 31, 2007

Xīn Nián Kuài Lè (2008)



Well... 2007 is over, and 2008 has begun. New Years here was a little different from my typical Milwaukee welcoming of the changing times. There are about 2 million more people in Taipei and the Taipei 101 holds an incredible firework show. The fireworks were wonderful, and the rumor is that this is the last year the fireworks will be held at the 101. Aside from the fireworks the most incredible thing about Taipei during New Years is the number of people that gather. Normally during the 6 p.m. rush the MRT stations are jam packed with people to the point of slight discomfort but last night was insane. The lines for the MRT were taking up almost all of the main station (the central hub of MRT's) and trains were coming at a rate of about every minute. The guards at the MRT station who normally have the task of keeping people in line, had a new job last night. They because pushers and pullers. There job consisted of cramming as many people as they could into the MRT's to the point of not being able to move at all. If you had to get out before the main stop, Taipei City Hall, then the guards would have to help you pull through the crowds. It is not something that I would want to deal with on a normal basis, so I am glad I don't like in Tokyo. Other than the new years craziness at 101 there were just tons of people out everywhere. Personal fireworks were going off all night and food stands were staying open far later than usual. I was even able to get a snack around 3 a.m. from a place other than a 7-11.

Now that 2008 has started it is time again to reflect back on the year past and look forward onto things to come. While I could speak volumes on what I am thankful for and happy about in my life, I will refrain and instead focus on the things that I would like to change about myself. I am trying to become less reliant of "stuff." I want to work ever more on seeing the good in people rather than the bad. I want to keep a positive attitude whenever possible, and take the struggles and hardships of life with the knowledge that somewhere out there someone has got it worse. I want to help others, and try and do everything in my life to the best of my abilities. I know that failure can and does happen, but as long as we give it our all then at least we know that we tried.

I wish everyone in my life a Happy New Year from the bottom of my heart. I wish you all a brighter tomorrow. I remind us all to remember the things we have, and not dwell on the things we want. I hope we all use our ability to forgive, even if we do not forget. Let us share our love and joy with everyone around. Xīn Nián Kuài Lè (Happy New Year) to all.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your New Year's eve celebration sounds memorable----one more unique experience for you to treasure!!!!

You have your priorities in good order, Jake. Stay on that path.
jmg

Anonymous said...

Whoa! What a show...you can tell who invented fireworks...sure looks like a tall building blowing up, wonder what that image was like for Americans in Taipei to ring in 2002...still has the effect now..

Nice to read of your end of year musings and direction, world travel seems to do well to expand your heart and mind.

That's one new year down, one to go. I'm sure the Chinese New Year celebration will be great to witness and be a part of.

I realized today that you will entirely miss USA Winter...snow, cold, cancellations, bad drivers, yet also the beauty of snow and the evenings spent keeping warm with a good book or friends...hope you are finding many moments to share your experiences and self with others. - Dad

Anonymous said...

Wow Jake that show looks as fabulous! You are pretty lucky to have experienced that...hope you are doing well!

Anonymous said...

Jake,what an experience! The fireworks and chaos of New Year's sounds pretty exciting. , Yet, you've gone deeper and realize the importance of relationships and the better ways of the world. It's wonderful to see how you're looking within yourself and finding some incredible revelations. World travel agrees with you. Stay as intuitive and loving as you are. Love Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Jake,

I was finally able to sit at this computer and catch up on all of your blogs. I was laid up with arthritis pain that made it difficult to sit at the computer this past week, so didn't do anything until today.

Loved the light show, it was awesome! Just like many Christmas light displays can be. I wonder how many pollutive emissions were created during that display!?

It's nice to see that this blog has a different beat than the one before it. The good that you see should also be extended to situations as well. Always try to find the silver lining of every day. There always is one, no matter how insignificant it may seem.

Take care and be safe!