Sunday, January 27, 2008

Its like Youtube, but better.

When I say that I have found a site is better than Youtube I really mean that I have found a website that has truly changed who I am. I have been kept up at night by thought provoking questions, and endlessly fascinating technological potentials. The site I am referencing is called TED Talks a website that freely shares videos from past TED conferences. The TED (Technology, Entertainment, Design) conference brings together every year 50 of the worlds best thinkers, and doers and gives them the stage to talk about their lives and ideas for 18 minutes. In the past two months that I have been on this site I have heard about: the end of aging, the power of love, the interconnectedness of business in our world, the dangers of a Pandemic, and on, and on, and on. I have seen a man compute in his head a 5 digit number times itself, and even think out loud while doing so. I don't really know what else to say about this website but I hope that you all get a chance to check it out. In order to get your hooked on this wonderful website I recommend these talks to wet your whistle.

There is so much more that you will be able to explore on this site, but I of course can't list everything. I will end this blog with a little news about Taipei. Things are going well but the weather has been pretty crummy rain, rain and more rain. School is keeping me busy. We just finished our first text book and our onto the second which I will be using for most of the rest of my stay here in Taipei. I have a nice break soon for the Chinese New Year and I will be going south for a few days during that time. I am sure that I will have much more "fun" things to report at that time. I just figured that I would get back into the blogging thing again even if I don't really have anything new to share.



2 comments:

Juanito said...

I second your recommendation of TED, particularily the doctor who talks about electroshock as a treatment for massive depression, the Bonobo talk (you get to see a monkey try and drive a golf cart) and the young female pianist makes up a song from five random notes and then begins to improvise variations on her theme. Such a good website!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jake,

At least you had rain and not feet of snow as they had in Beijing. Apparently people were trapped in malls and bus stations. I've been busy with classes myself.

Take Care!

Carrie