Sunday, November 18, 2007

Day One



Well I slept about 4 hours last night. I am not sure if that is because of jet lag or because i slept the whole time on the plane, but i wasn't going to let lack of sleep get me down. My room, as you can see in the pictures, is rather small and limited to a desk and a bed. The shower is just a drain in the floor, despite is looking so out of place it was piping hot and that made me happy.

Once sunlight started to hit my room and the sound of a bustling city rung in my ears I decided it was time to wander. So, at 6:30 am with my dictionary, travel book and iPod in hand I went to explore the city. My goals were simple. Find a place to get something to drink, find a place to eat, and most importantly... not get lost. To add to it, I was going to use only Chinese. I put on the new Radiohead album and just started walking. Taking in that all taipei has to offer (minus the sounds i guess). You would be surprised how alive Taipei is at 6:30 am. A lot of breakfast shops start opening up for business and there are more mopeds on the road that I thought possible.

I found a 24 hour store that had some drinks and I bought some green tea to the tune of 20 yuan (about .90 cents). After that I walked the streets watching the city really come to life before my eyes. I found a small street vendor that had some spicy noodles for sale and ordered them with the best of my ability. I must have said something right because I got my order just as I had asked for it and began to slurp them down. It hit the spot! After that i wandered around a little bit and then made my way back to school.

Now I am going to try and find a bank and change my money, so that I can pay for tuition. After that I have no idea where the wind will blow me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear your travels went well and uneventful. You must be very excited and maybe even a little nervous because I felt them very strongly when I read your blog. I am excited beyond words for you, that you get to have this experience! I can't wait to hear more.

I think I am going to get a map so that we can find where you are!

Grand Adventures and Great Luck!

Carrie

Nick said...

Hey man, sounds like the fun is already starting. Now you can see why I miss it so much. Although I doubt you will need it, remember, if you ever have any questions or just want to talk Taiwan, I am your man. Stay safe and have a fun. Keep in touch.